We found a bag of mixed dried fruit that will be expired soon. So we decided to use it in a fruit cake.
Chocolate cake made with dried fruit.
|Published:||May 2, 2020|
|Adapted from:||Recipe from Everyone's Favorite Fruitcake by King Arthur Baking|
|Prep time:||30 minutes|
|Cook time:||60 minutes|
|Total time:||90 minutes|
- 227g unsalted butter
- 300g (2 cups) brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 large eggs (about 50g each)
- 360g (3 cups) all-purpose flour
- 11g (2 tablespoons) cocoa powder
- 75g (1/4 cup) treacle
- 116g (1/2 cup) water
- 500g mixed dried fruits socked with cherry brandy
- Preheat the fan forced oven to 150°C (300°F).
- Make sure both butter and eggs are at room temperature.
- Use an electric mixer to cream the butter with sugar until smooth and creamy.
- Add eggs one at a time to ensure the egg is emulsified with the mixture.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour and cocoa together with salt, baking powder and ground spices.
- Fold the flour into the mixture gently.
- Add the treacle and water into the mixture beating gently to combine.
- Stir in the fruit with any collected liquid into the mixture.
- Pour the mixture in the lined 9 inch pan.
- Bake it for one hours or when a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Turn off the heat and store the cake at room temperature in a container when it is cool completely.