When the size of this website is getting larger, it is time to think of ways to speed up this website deployment.
This website was using
rdiff-backup to deploy to web hosting server.
The time to deploy the site is just getting longer.
Here are ways we did on this website to speed up the deployment:
- using Github Actions or Gitlab CI/CD
- host the images else where
- move source code files from
listingsfolders to GitHub Gist
There are other steps taken during the process of speed up the deployment that doesn't related to speed:
- using two file format to seperate metadata and post
- using Markdown input format instead of reStructuredText
- using shortcodes as much as possible instead of plugins
- using the default theme
- the site is stripped-down
There are shortcomings after these steps are taken.
- The reStructuredText format supports a lot more HTML syntax by default. It is more developer friendly comparing with Markdown.
- Because of not using plugins, more condition logic are happen in shortcodes.
In order to support Python code in template,
Mako template is used rather than Jinja template.
- Unfortunately, the default theme dosn't pass the validation in Google structured data testing tool, due to missing required fields, 'image' and 'publisher' in 'Article' schema.
- More tidy up tasks are waiting to complete.